[mythtv-users] wireless keyboard

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Oct 17 16:46:26 UTC 2007

Mailing Lists wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-17-10 at 11:16 -0400, Micheal Drew wrote:
>> I'm a noob to this so pls be nice but are there any wireless
>> keyboards/mouse combos that work. I been pulling my hair out trying to
>> get an answer but getting any definitive answers. I'm looking at
>> logitech keyboards.
>
> The Windows MCE Keyboard looks nice since it uses IR - I don't know much
> about the Logitech ones but the MCE one has a built in mouse (via keys)
> and TV keys.

Remember that *any* wireless keyboard, IR or RF, will be subject to
possible interference, resulting in undesired operation of the keyboard
itself or something else that shares the spectrum it is using.

RF keyboards usually operate in the 2.4 Ghz. band, and can thus cause
interference to or receive interference from cordless phones, microwave
ovens, 802.11 devices and bluetooth devices (which also operate in that
band).

IR devices can cause interference to or receive interference from other
remote controls, certain types of lighting fixtures and even sunlight.

Having said that, I use an RF keyboard, 802.11 units, bluetooth and a
cordless phone in the same room with no problems, but this doesn't mean
you can depend on that in all cases.

Sometimes moving the antennas, changing channels on 802.11 and other
common sense measures can reduce or eliminate problems, but sometimes not.

So, whatever you try, I'd make sure to get return rights on it in case
you do run into trouble.

beww