[mythtv-users] LiveTV from capture card in SBE/FE is buffering like crazy!

Marc drayson at net1plus.com
Wed Oct 17 16:32:18 UTC 2007

From: mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org
[mailto:mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org] On Behalf Of David Brieck Jr.
Sent: Wednesday, October 17, 2007 11:52 AM
To: Discussion about mythtv
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] LiveTV from capture card in SBE/FE is buffering
like crazy!

On 10/16/07, Don Jerman <djerman at pobox.com> wrote:

Unfortunately I can't speak to wireless-g bandwidth being capable of
streaming mythtv or not because I haven't had time to set up a remote
frontend yet.

Wireless G does have enough bandwidth to use reliably for SD and depending
on your setup possibly HD. This is all very very very dependent on the
quality of equipment you're using and your specific situation. I used
wireless for a short period of time to test HD, but in the end I ended up
adding a box behind my TV and fished up Cat5e from the basement. Wireless is
nice, but it's certainly not error-free which is what I need for my WAF.

In the end however, it's still much cheaper to simply run ethernet and be
done with it. By the time you buy adapters or bridges you could have just
run Cat5 for less than half the cost (assuming you have your own crimper or
have access to one).

-----------

You should point out that Wireless G does have the bandwidth for SD given
that you are able to get sufficient bandwidth from the air. Too much
interference will cause the connection speeds to drop and once they hit a
critical limit will cause your video playback to suffer.
Add to this multiple backends possibly sharing resources, for example CPU
cycles for commercial detection, and your bandwidth drops even more as the
backend that you are trying to watch a show from is also feeding another
show to another machine.

If you really want to use wireless I would recommend having the backend(s)
have wired connections to the router and your frontend(s) only having
wireless. This would decrease the chance that your backends can not supply
sufficient bandwidth to the frontends.
With this configuration you could have 2 frontends watching video over
wireless safely, given you get good signal, maybe 3 if you are lucky.

But, like David said, wired is simple to do and reliable.

Marc