[mythtv-users] High Volume during commercials

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Oct 17 02:30:03 UTC 2007

Michael Wisniewski wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I tried looking around the list, but couldn't find much about this.
> It seems like the volume for the commercials is raised to a point
> where I have to turn it down.  But when the show starts back up, it
> gets really quiet so I have to turn it back up.  This is getting kind
> of annoying...
>
> I was wondering, if there is a filter that I can use to 'normalize'
> the sound volume for live tv.  I noticed something being said on the
> list requesting the sound be mute or quieter.  While this would work,
> I would be happy with just normalization.  :-)

The question might be is it really a "volume" difference you are hearing
or something else.

Often the audio on commercials is highly processed, and what you are
hearing is a difference in "psycoacoustic perceived loudness" and not
really "volume".

A VU meter might well indicate that the volume is the same, but to the
human ear it sounds "louder".

This sort of thing can be very difficult to detect and/or control
without an actual human in the loop.

I seriously doubt is there is any truly effective way to automate a
solution to this problem, at least not at consumer prices.

beww