[mythtv-users] Help me disable screen blanking in FC7

Jason McMillon jmcmillon at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 01:48:21 UTC 2007

On 10/12/07, Joe Ripley <vitaminjoe at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/12/07, Bruce Taber <brutab at verizon.net> wrote:
> > How about putting these in the Section "ServerLayout" of your xorg.conf
> > file?
> >         Option         "BlankTime" "1"
> >         Option         "StandbyTime" "0"
> >         Option         "SuspendTime" "0"
> >         Option         "OffTime" "0"
> >
> [ ... cut ...]
> > A BlankTime "0" should cause the screen to never blank.
>
> Agreed.  This is what I use as well.  Works great.
>
> --
> Joe Ripley
> vitaminjoe at gmail.com

Unfortunately none of the "options" above to my Xorg.conf didn't work.
 However, adding the following to a cron job that runs five minutes
after my daily reboot works great!!

/usr/bin/xset -display :0.0 s off
/usr/bin/xset -display :0.0 -dpms

Again, to reiterate in case anyone searches the list with a similar problem...

I installed a tftp server that required xinetd which apparently
overwrote kde's screen saver settings require me to run the above
commands after every reboot.  I couldn't find any other commands that
would work.  The -display:0.0 is required since xset should be run
within x-windows (I think).

Hope this helps  someone...

Thanks!!
Jason