[mythtv-users] LiveTV from capture card in SBE/FE is buffering like crazy!

Don Jerman djerman at pobox.com
Tue Oct 16 17:36:17 UTC 2007

On 10/16/07, Daniel Arfsten <darfsten at hotmail.com> wrote:
> The first thought that occurred to me was to put all the tuners
> in the
> master backend and then run the secondary machine as a frontend
> only.  Then
> run a hard network connection and you'll see a vast improvement.
>

> Well thanks for the thought but as I said in the end of the post, that I am
> looking to keep the setup the way it is so your suggestion is one that I was
> already thoroughly aware of. MBE/FE already has PCI slots full and i'd
> rather not drill holes in my walls to run cat5e or cat6. So again, the same
> question I asked before applies.
>

> Daniel

I had some problems using a usb wireless adapter and the same driver.
The master backend/frontend system would be buffering in the frontend
for no apparent reason(!) and would occasionally lock up completely.
I noticed that the usb controller was sharing an interrupt with one of
my capture cards and decided to try running without it, and the system
stabilized (magic!).   So I got an external wireless bridge instead.
I didn't get all scientific and figure out why, because the wife
acceptance factor was waning and I needed to "run clean" for a while
and devote time to other pursuits.

Unfortunately I can't speak to wireless-g bandwidth being capable of
streaming mythtv or not because I haven't had time to set up a remote
frontend yet.