[mythtv-users] Confused About HDHomeRun -- SOLVED!!!

Drew Tomlinson drew at mykitchentable.net
Tue Oct 16 17:33:36 UTC 2007

On 10/10/2007 7:33 PM Joe Harvell wrote:
> [...]
>> prime time - 4:3)
>>
>> I have a PVR-250 card attached to a DirecTV tuner through which I get
>> analog locals.  I also have a pcHDTV 3000 card and a HDHomeRun all
>> attached to a roof antenna.  All three only receive digital signal.  I
>> have two lineups on Schedules Direct, one for DirecTV (sourceid 1) and
>> one for antenna (sourceid 2).  Default channel setup resulted in this
>>
>> chanid     sourceid     channum     callsign     name
>> ------     --------     -------     --------     ----
>>   1003         1            3       KCRA         KCRA
>>   2031         2            3_1     KCRADT       KCRADT
>>   2032         2            3_2     KCRADT2      KCRADT2
>>   1010         1           10       KXTV         KXTV
>>   2101         2           10_1     KXTVDT       KXTVDT
>>   2101         2           10_2     KXTVDT2      KXTVDT2
>>

>> Many times the exact same show is broadcast both on the analog channel
>> and digital channels.  Because recordings from the PVR-250 only consume
>> 2.2 GB per hour and recordings from the other tuners consume around 7
>> GB, I want the PVR-250 to have first priority *UNLESS* the broadcast is
>> an HD broadcast.  I also wanted to avoid the situation where programs
>> without specific episode identifying information are recorded by
>> multiple tuners at the same time..
>>
>> To meet my goals, the first step was to edit the channel table so that
>> callsigns with the same programming at the same time matched.  Thus I
>> changed the callsigns for all my versions of channel 3 to KCRA.
>> Additionally, I changed 10 and 10_1 to KXTV but left 10_2 at KXTVDT2
>> because during the day its programming doesn't follow the other two
>> channel 10s.
>>
>> This is the end result:
>>
>> chanid     sourceid     channum     callsign     name
>> ------     --------     -------     --------     ----
>>   1003         1            3       KCRA         KCRA
>>   2031         2            3_1     KCRA         KCRADT
>>   2032         2            3_2     KCRA         KCRA
>>   1010         1           10       KXTV         KXTV
>>   2101         2           10_1     KXTV         KXTVDT
>>   2101         2           10_2     KXTVDT2      KXTVDT2
>>
>> Next I set a priority of two in Setup -> TV Settings -> Recording
>> Priorities -> HDTV Recording Priority.  This makes shows flagged as HD
>> record on the digital tuners.  However without the priority bump, all
>> shows are equal priority so the default is to use the first tuner
>> available.  That's why I configured the PVR-250 card first.
>>
>> The end result works very well.  Sometimes when there is not unique
>> prime time episode data, I will get duplicate recordings on 10_1 and
>> 10_2 as the channids are different.  However this is rare.
>>
>> Hopefully this info will help you to get a system that behaves in the
>> manner in which you wish.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Drew
>>

> My only question is how does this affect retrieving of the programming data?

I don't *think* it affects it at all.  I'll explain things as I
understand them and if I'm incorrect, I hope someone will enlighten both
of us.  :)

> Is the callsign used to match up the channel in the lineup with the
> channel from the "channel" table?

No.  It appears to be done with the chanid field.

> I suppose that if the programming SD
> provides for KCRA and KCRA_DT are the same all the time, then there is
> actually less data to retrieve when mythfilldatabase runs.  Is that what
> happens?  The next time I run mythfilldatabase it will ignore the
> KCRA_DT channel in the lineup because there is no channel in
> mythconverg?  What about when channels get added to the lineup?  How
> will I make them be added to mythconverg without having the KCRA_DT
> channel added as a new channel as well?

Both channels are in the database with unique chanid numbers.  In my
particular situation I have two lineups.  One for my DirecTV receiver
that is connected via S-Video to a PVR-250 called (you guessed it)
"DirecTV".  The other lineup is for OTA digital channels called "ATSC".
I have three tuners capable of receiving the OTA digital signal so all
tuners are set to use the ATSC lineup.  Here is a snippet of my program
table:

mysql> SELECT p.`chanid`, p.`starttime`, p.`title`, p.`hdtv` FROM
program p where chanid=1003 OR chanid=2031 order by starttime limit 10;
+--------+---------------------+-------------------------------+------+
| chanid | starttime           | title                         | hdtv |
+--------+---------------------+-------------------------------+------+
|   1003 | 2007-10-09 00:37:00 | Late Night With Conan O'Brien |    0 |
|   2031 | 2007-10-09 00:37:00 | Late Night With Conan O'Brien |    1 |
|   1003 | 2007-10-09 01:36:00 | Last Call With Carson Daly    |    0 |
|   2031 | 2007-10-09 01:36:00 | Last Call With Carson Daly    |    0 |
|   1003 | 2007-10-09 02:05:00 | Poker After Dark              |    0 |
|   2031 | 2007-10-09 02:05:00 | Poker After Dark              |    0 |
|   1003 | 2007-10-09 03:05:00 | Late Night With Conan O'Brien |    0 |
|   2031 | 2007-10-09 03:05:00 | Late Night With Conan O'Brien |    1 |
|   1003 | 2007-10-09 04:05:00 | Paid Programming              |    0 |
|   2031 | 2007-10-09 04:05:00 | Paid Programming              |    0 |
+--------+---------------------+-------------------------------+------+

chanid 1003 refers to KCRA and chanid 2031 is KCRA-DT.  Also, the tuner
associated with chanid 1003 is tuner 1 and the tuners that can tune
chanid 2031 are tuner 2 (a pcHDTV 3000), tuner 3 (HDHR 0), and tuner 4
(HDHR 1) .  So now when MythTV schedules, it sees that Conan O'Brien is
available on both chanid 1003 and 2031.  Normally it would default to
using the first available tuner, in this case tuner 1, and record chanid
1003.  However I set a global priority for shows flagged HD which bumps
the priority by 2 (default).  Thus the show on chanid 2031 has a higher
priority than the show on chanid 1003 so chanid 2031 gets recorded by
tuner 2 (assuming it's available).  And because of the duplicate
detection performed by MythTV, it does not record the show on chanid 1003.

However MythTV would record the next show, "Last Call With Carson Daly"
on tuner 1 as it is not flagged as HD and thus gets no priority bump.
This results in my system using my PVR-250 tuner that only consumes 2.2
GB per hour for shows that are not HD (which is closer to 7.5 GB per
hour) unless that tuner is already busy.  I save quite a bit a disk
space this way and the quality of the PVR-250 is satisfactory to me.

Hopefully this explains how the tuning works.  If I have something
wrong, please enlighten me.

Cheers,

Drew

--