[mythtv-users] pcHDTV-5500: Anyone have audio working with S-Video?

Anthony Messina amessina at messinet.com
Tue Oct 16 15:18:11 UTC 2007

On Sunday 14 October 2007 02:01:43 pm Bob Sully wrote:
> Donald J. Maddox wrote:

> >> Yes.
> >>
> >> Audio out from your STB -> audio in RCA plugs on the dongle that came
> >> with
> >> the 5500.
> >>
> >> Audio out from the 5500 -> line in (or mic in, depending on your card)
> >> on
> >> your sound card.
> >>
> >> When you set up the audio options for your 5500 card in setup - use the
> >> audio device for your *sound card* (on my machine it's /dev/dsp) rather
> >> than the one for the 5500 (/dev/dsp1 or whatever it's assigned on your
> >> box).
> >>
> >> HTH -
> >> Bob
> >
> > Well, that's the old way of doing it - but all 5500s are supposed to be
> > shipped with the on-board audio enabled now, so the sound card
> > connection should not be required.  One of the users on the pcHDTV
> > forums wrote a program to enable/disable it, and his program reports
> > that mine is definitely enabled, and the audio device shows up correctly
> > in my dmesg, but if I try to set up the card to use /dev/dsp1 (which
> > should be the chip on the 5500, I think), all I get is audio static.  I
> > don't want to use the old sound card way of hooking it up, because I
> > find that if I watch live TV, I continue to get the STB audio even after
> > I exit live TV.
> >
> > I should probably be addressing this on the pcHDTV forums, but I know a
> > lot of people on this list have 5500s, so I thought I'd ask here too.
>
> Mine is enabled also (I have two of the newer 5500 cards)...and it works
> fine for audio from the QAM sources.  But for the external input (from the
> STB), you need to pipe it into your sound card.  That's the way it's set
> up on my system, and it seems to work fine.  If you get yours working
> without having to do this - please let me know! :-)

i use the cx88_alsa kernel module and do not need the soundcard loop on a
pchdtv hd5500.

you'll have to configure it as the second soundcard and remember that
alsamixer has everything muted at first.

modprobe.conf:
# Make Intel internal audio the primary sound card
alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
options snd-hda-intel index=0
remove snd-hda-intel { /usr/sbin/alsactl store 0 >/dev/null \
2>&1 || : ; }; /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-hda-intel

# Make pcHDTV HD-5500 analog audio the secondary sound card
alias snd-card-1 cx88-alsa
options cx88-alsa index=1

--
Anthony -  http://messinet.com - http://messinet.com/~amessina/gallery
8F89 5E72 8DF0 BCF0 10BE 9967 92DC 35DC B001 4A4E