[mythtv-users] Fanless: What about VIA mobos ?

Tim Phipps mythtv-users at phipps-hutton.freeserve.co.uk
Mon Oct 15 16:02:15 UTC 2007

David Brodbeck wrote:
> On Oct 12, 2007, at 5:45 AM, Tim Phipps wrote:
>> I've a 4 year old M10000 that will hang when enough data goes through
>> the northbrige and since the video shares system ram, you can get this
>> quite easily using myth. It's temperature sensitive too, better in the
>> winter.
>
> Interesting.  I've never had this problem with my M10000.  In fact, I
> don't think I've ever seen it hang.

Lucky you.

> If it's temperature sensitive, have you considered improving the
> motherboard cooling?

Yes, I had the lid off the box and wedged a fan in the gap in the
chipset heatsink - still not stable. I also prosed the heatsink off and
replaced what VIA had put there with expensive stuff - still not stable.

Changing a MTTF from 20 minutes to 5 days is not fixing the problem so I
bought a newer mobo and the problem has gone.

I'm convinved VIA has fixed a bug in the chipset even if they don't
admit it.

Cheers,
Tim.