[mythtv-users] updated Myth, but libraries not updated

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Mon Oct 15 14:59:15 UTC 2007

On Sun, Oct 14, 2007 at 09:15:16PM -0600, Jerome Yuzyk wrote:
> On Sunday 14 October 2007 17:52, Axel Thimm wrote:

> > > Well, I figured that if there was a myth-123 and a libmyth-123 that
> > > updating myth-123 would pull libmyth-123. Yum has always handled those
> > > kinds of dependencies automatically.
> >
> > Actually it never did, and the yum update myth* has been the source of
> > 1001 endless bug chasing crusades.
>
> So this implies that Myth libs are optional, and can fall behind the myth*
> packages?

No, not at all, the contrary is the case. I wrote that this updating
policy is the source of bugs.

> Does dependecy-resolution eventually force a catch-up?
>
> > plain-ole yum update is your friend.
>
> ... except when non-Myth updates outnumber Myth updates, like for lazybones
> like me that only check every month or so.

If you want to be selective about the updates first let a depsolver
propose a lits of to be updated packages and perform your filtering
based on that list. E.g. you can safely skip openoffice packages if
all you care is mythtv. But if you are not sure better include the
update.

Still this eyeball procedure is only recommended for the experts that
know what each package does and can judge whether they want some
updates or not. Generally I'd recommend the full update always.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net