[mythtv-users] sAGA cONTINUES

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Sun Oct 14 20:30:39 UTC 2007

On Fri, Oct 12, 2007 at 09:52:09PM -0500, Chris Schumann wrote:

> >> I have a GeForce 6200 as well, in my desktop machine, and I've never
> >> gotten XvMC to work either.  I know the drivers are installed
> >> correctly because 3D acceleration works.  But when I turn on XvMC,
> >> CPU consumption doesn't go down and I still get a color OSD.
> >>
> >> Has anyone actually gotten XvMC working on this card?
> >>

> > Did you guys happen to miss the first step to actually enable XvMC for
> > the Nvidia drivers?
> >
> > http://mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/XvMC#Configuration
> >
> > Add your XvMC library module name to the /etc/X11/XvMCConfig file,
> > creating a new one if necessary
> >
> >    1. For binary Nvidia drivers, the contents of XvMCConfig should be
> > "libXvMCNVIDIA_dynamic.so.1"
>
> I just double-checked and it is present and that file does exist. I
> rebooted to no effect. But I did capture the log while running MythTV
> and found interesting information:
>
> 2007-10-12 21:41:55.072 VideoOutputXv: Pixel dimensions: Screen
> 1680x1050, window 1680x1050
> 2007-10-12 21:41:55.086 VideoOutputXv: Estimated display dimensions:
> 485x303 mm  Aspect: 1.60066
> 2007-10-12 21:41:55.086 VideoOutputXv: Estimated window dimensions:
> 485x303 mm  Aspect: 1.60066
> Xlib:  extension "XVideo" missing on display ":0.0".
> 2007-10-12 21:41:55.090 VideoOutputXv Error: XVideo output requested,
> but is not supported by display.
> 2007-10-12 21:41:55.093 VideoOutputXv: XvMCTex: Init failed
> 2007-10-12 21:41:55.094 VideoOutputXv: Falling back to X shared memory
> video output.
>                                *** May be slow ***
> and there's this too:
> [chris at localhost ~]$ xvinfo
> Xlib:  extension "XVideo" missing on display ":0.0".
> xvinfo: No X-Video Extension on :0.0
>

> I feel like it's SO close, and thanks for the help so far. Any other
> places to look or things to try?

Check put /var/log/Xorg.0.log. If the ATrpms' rpm for nvidia are
installed properly you will see something like

[...]
(II) Loading extension Extended-Visual-Information
(II) Loading extension XVideo
(II) Loading extension XVideo-MotionCompensation
(II) Loading extension X-Resource
[...]

In your case you will see some error/warning as to why the xv/xvmc
extensions were not loaded. Maybe a broken xorg.conf? If that's the
case, then let system-config-display create a simple new corg.conf and
reinstall the drivers (rpms) which will make xorg.conf work properly
with the closed source nvidia drivers.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net