[mythtv-users] Closed Caption Problem

Craig Huff huffcslists at gmail.com
Sun Oct 14 20:31:06 UTC 2007

On 10/11/07, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:

> Use the VBI captions.  The ATSC captions still need some work (even in
> SVN trunk).  You can access the VBI captions through the menu, or you
> can change your key bindings such that "Toggle any captions" (which
> prefers ATSC captions) is unmapped and map the button you're using for
> toggling CC (probably 'T') to "Toggle VBI CC" ("TOGGLECC608").
>
> Mike,

I have the opposite results regarding which CC scheme works.  I was using
the VBI CC by default since my remote didn't have a spare button to control
closed captions so I had to scroll through the on-screen menu to get to
them.

I capture my video with Hauppauge cards (350 and 500) off analog cable.  The
VBI CC displays are missing a lot of the text, as though the data were being

sliced and diced as the data stream is being captured and encoded to
digital.
The ATSC captions have very few, if any such problems.

Can you (or anyone else) shed some light on this behavior?

Craig.