[mythtv-users] video driver problems PLEASE HELP

Sam Bruner sabruner3 at juno.com
Sat Oct 13 11:20:53 UTC 2007

I reviewed this log that it pointed we to the fact that for some reason the
9xxx module was still present and trying to load.  I removed all of the 9xxx
pieces again and got the 8xxx driver to work.  The 8xxx driver sort of fixed
my problem.

But something REALLY strange happended.  At first my TV out looked normal.
And both the VGA and TV looked fine.  I closed mythtv and opened a terminal
windows and ran mythfilldatabase and then re-opened mythtv (I did not log
out or down X)  and YUCK!  the 8-bit color was back.

Live TV looked bad and so did the menus.

Here are several strange things.  In the mythdora menus you have a tools
option to open an term window.  When I did it was overlayed partially on the
myth menu but when it did the correct resolution appeared.  However when I
closed the Xterm the poor one was back.

I closed X (ctl,alt back space) and upated my xorg.conf so that tvout was
off and then started X.  The resolution was sort of back but did not fill
the entire screen.  I then closed X and updated to tvout settings and
restarted X.  The resolution was back.

One additional note for testing I am using an RF modulator with an old TV.
This is because my primary setup is using a switch box because it has too
many imputes.  It does have one set of composite.

I know from previous testing that I was having problems under this switch
box with the 8-bit color on this rebuild so both my production area and my
test bed should be similar.

One final not under my previous build of mythtv 18.1 I was using the same
swithbox and the same fx5200 card so I know that this should work.

Any clues would be helpful.  I am really going Nuts.

thanks

Sam