[mythtv-users] Help me disable screen blanking in FC7

Bruce Taber brutab at verizon.net
Fri Oct 12 20:26:12 UTC 2007

David Brodbeck wrote:
> On Oct 11, 2007, at 6:26 PM, Jason McMillon wrote:

>>> Or put the commands in either /etc/X11/xinit/Xsession or /etc/X11/
>>> xinit/xinitrc, depending on whether you're using a graphical login or
>>> booting in text mode and running 'startx'.

>> I appended
>> /usr/bin/xset s off
>> /usr/bin/xset -dpms
>>
>> to both Xsession and xinitrc without any success.
>>

> Just appending them may not work.  The way X startup works is the
> last program to run is the window manager -- which is *not*
> backgrounded, so the xinit script process stops at that point until
> the window manager is exited.  X exits when the script exits.  For
> that reason, anything you append to the script *after* the window
> manager won't get run until you exit!  You want to find where in the
> script the window manager is being started, and put the xset commands
> before it.
>

>> Any other ideas?

How about putting these in the Section "ServerLayout" of your xorg.conf
file?
        Option         "BlankTime" "1"
        Option         "StandbyTime" "0"
        Option         "SuspendTime" "0"
        Option         "OffTime" "0"

This is what I use on the main frontend connected to a TV. These are set
to cause the video card to change to a black screen after one minute
whenever mythtv is on a menu. Pressing any key on the remote causes the
menu to redisplay. MythTV overrides that behavior when watching live TV
or a recording. A BlankTime "0" should cause the screen to never blank.
I thought I saw that information in the mail list previously.