[mythtv-users] mpeg2 playback quality captured with PVR-150

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 03:06:09 UTC 2007

> I couldn't make a screenshot with gentoo... I get blue-screens only ;)
>
> I have made 2 small clips of 2.8mb each.
> They are available from my server :
>
> http://www.cequisepasseenregion.com/weather.mpg
> http://www.cequisepasseenregion.com/weather2.mpg

Chandi,
After looking at your examples I noticed I had the exact same effect
on one of my tuners when I viewed the stream directly with mplayer. I
watched them with the following command:

PVR250:
mplayer /dev/v4l/video0

PVR150:
mplayer /dev/v4l/video1

I also saw diagonal lines as you describe as well. With ivtv-tune I
tuned my PVR250 and PVR150 to a news broadcast to get the weather and
I had the same problem on the PVR150 as you describe but the PVR250
had a perfect picture. I checked my cables and nothing was wrong. I
did notice something though. The PVR150 was for some reason set at
480x480 while the PVR250 was at 720x480. So then I set the PVR150 to
720x480 and the picture was now very good on the PVR150. I did this
using:

 v4l2-ctl --set-fmt-video=width=720,height=480 /dev/video1

I do not have a lot of time to investigate this but I believe this
will help. Can you do some testing at 720x480 capture resolution using
the commands above.

 John