[mythtv-users] Help me disable screen blanking in FC7

Jason McMillon jmcmillon at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 01:26:21 UTC 2007

On 10/10/07, David Brodbeck <gull at gull.us> wrote:

> >> Well, neither the rc.local or the above recommendation worked.  The
> >> only thing that works is:
> >> /usr/bin/xset s off
> >> /usr/bin/xset -dpms
> >>
> >> Any ideas how to correct.  I am fairly sure it's xinetd doing this.
> >> My start up script is located in /home/mythtv/.kde/Autostart/ and
> >> includes the above but does not seem to work...
> >
> > rc.local isn't likely to work in this case as it gets executed outside
> > the X environment.  I *believe* though, that starting up the window
> > manager (kde/gnome/whatever) turning off the screensaver should be the
> > equivalent of "xset s off".
>
> Or put the commands in either /etc/X11/xinit/Xsession or /etc/X11/
> xinit/xinitrc, depending on whether you're using a graphical login or
> booting in text mode and running 'startx'.

I appended
/usr/bin/xset s off
/usr/bin/xset -dpms

to both Xsession and xinitrc without any success.

I have a cron job to reboot the machine every night (without rebooting
I eventually get some DMA errors related to IVTV drivers that aren't
fixed in a stable release that I know of) and hooking up a keyboard to
run the above commands every morning isn't an option.

Any other ideas?  Anyway I could implement a cron job to give some
keyboard input every 8 minutes to prevent the blanking?  The Wife
Acceptance Factor is quickly going downhill...

Thanks!!
Jason