[mythtv-users] Idea for possible workaround to stop bogus EDID data

Christopher David Petersen christopher.david.petersen at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 22:27:27 UTC 2007

On 10/11/07, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> On 10/11/2007 05:08 PM, Christopher David Petersen wrote:
> > I've tried both
> >
> > Option "UseEDID" "false"
> >
> > and
> >
> > Option "IgnoreEDID" "true"
> >
> > with my *SiS* driver to no effect.
> >
> > I think "IgnoreEDID" is a deprecated option for nVidia drivers, with
> > "UseEDID" being it's replacement.
> >
> > Have either been implemented for any other drivers other than nVidia?
>
> Let me try again... NVIDIA's driver is broken.  It should /not/ use EDID
> information instead of command-line/configuration settings.  However,
> since they made a broken driver, they included a setting to ignore the
> EDID information.
>
> If you're using the open-source SiS driver (again saying, "if," because
> you haven't told us whether you are or not), it--having been developed
> by the X developers, themselves--would not be broken and would use the
> X-approved approach of actually doing what the user asks (via
> command-line/configuration options) rather than assuming the user is a
> fool who doesn't know what he/she wants (the approach NVIDIA--a company
> that's accustomed to developing software for Windows users, who tend to
> fit that bill--has taken).
>
> So, assuming you're using the X.org (or XFree86) open-source driver, you
> don't need to disable EDID.  You just need to provide the right
> options.  Or, in the case where you're using a (IMHO, broken) distro
> that specifies -dpi in the X command line, you need to /not/ provide the
> wrong option.
>
> Mike

All good points, and allow me to address some of them.

I agree that command-line/configuration settings should take
precedence over EDID information.

I don't know which version of the "SiS" driver I'm using. I'm using
the one distributed via MythDora 4.0. I will determine this soon.

I believe the SiS driver I'm using is not respecting my DisplaySize
setting in /etc/X11/xorg.conf. Regardless of what DisplaySize I
specify, xdpyinfo reports my display size as 40x30mm. And (I believe),
MythTV therefore thinks I have a 4:3 display. Perhaps I'm not
understanding what xdpyinfo is reporting?

Does the -dpi command line option typically cause drivers to ignore
the DisplaySize information provided in /etc/X11/xorg.conf ?

Thanks again for your response.