[mythtv-users] Sound track overwhelmingly the dialog (HD sound)

Jon Boehm boehm100 at comcast.net
Thu Oct 11 17:56:45 UTC 2007

Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 10/11/2007 02:58 AM, Jon Boehm wrote:
>> I'm running alsa digital audio out to a 5.1 receiver.  Tonight I
>> recorded Bionic Women in HD off of NBC.  The audio track was Dolby
>> Digital but I couldn't understand 1/2 the scenes because the music sound
>> track volume totally drowned out the dialog.  Has anyone seen this
>> problem before.  ABC was fine but NBC was unwatchable.  The commercials
>> during the Bionic Women were fine but the show it self had problems.
>>
>> I assume this was problem with the feed but I wanted to confirm before
>> calling to complain.
>
> The important configuration issue, here, is whether you're using AC-3
> passthrough.  If so, the receiver is to blame/must be configured to
> increase center-channel volume.  The /only/ way Myth could be at all to
> blame is if you're not using passthrough.  In that case, Myth is
> decoding the AC-3 and downmixing to 2-channel stereo.

Yes I am running AC-3 passthrough.  My receiver displaying Dolby Digital
with the lock light on.  Pushing up Daisies last night on ABC was fine
but Bionic Women, Life, and the last 30 Rock all had this problem.  I
don't remember the last Hero's having the problem & I know that the
Tonight Show does not have this problem.

Thanks,
Jon