[mythtv-users] OT: Raid Server troubleshooting

Joe Ripley vitaminjoe at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 17:23:36 UTC 2007

On 10/11/07, nasa01 at comcast.net <nasa01 at comcast.net> wrote:
> Here's my issue:  writes to my raid array often (but not always) ends up in a "D -- uninterruptible sleep" state.  This could be a result of trying to scp a large file (like a .vob file) to the array.  Or it could be a result of moving a .vob file from a non array drive to the array.  The processes that end up in the "D" state tend to be the pdflush and/or sshd processes (although in the mv instance it was the mv process).  Reading from the array *seems* to work fine, although mythmusic is crashing whenever I try and update my music list.

I don't have much experience with this RAID card, but, as with any
hardware related issue, some things to check include:

* Drivers: Does HighPoint have a newer Linux module for this card?
* Heat: Is the card getting too warm when it gets busy?
* Power: Is your power supply providing enough juice when all the HD
drives are being used?

Does 'dmesg' report anything of use when you encounter this problem?
Perhaps the kernel is complaining...

--
Joe Ripley
vitaminjoe at gmail.com