[mythtv-users] Mac OS X choppy playback at high display resolutions, such as 1080p

Eric Robinson ryunokokoro at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 17:31:44 UTC 2007

> I think of myself as a MythTV contributor.  I have had a few patches
> that have been accepted over the years.
>
> There has been some investigation on the CoreVideo/OpenGL in the
> past. Look in the archives and trac.
>
> I don't think this is a functional bug but a performance issue.  A
> faster machine might solve the problem.
>
> This is one of the items on my list of things to look into if I win
> the lottery and didn't have to work :-)
>
> Sorry I can't be of more help.

Haha, no, not at all!  I'm grateful for any feedback and what you've
mentioned so far has been a great insight to the issue!  As for
waiting for a faster computer to solve the problem... we have the
latest and greatest Mac Mini running a Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz machine.
Others running 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo iMacs have reported the problem.  VLC
plays back 1080i/p content with all of its fun bells and whistles
without a hitch on less powerful machines than even the 2.0GHz Minis.
Frontrow, whilst arguably not shifting a picture, can playback 1080p
encoded files to 1080p plus monitors without a hiccup as well.

Not sure what's going on but this seems... abnormal.

Thanks for the help, though!