[mythtv-users] Help me disable screen blanking in FC7

Jason McMillon jmcmillon at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 03:04:20 UTC 2007

On 10/9/07, Jason McMillon <jmcmillon at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/9/07, Paul Harrison <mythtv at dsl.pipex.com> wrote:
> > Jason McMillon wrote:
> > > Lately, my system has been blanking out after about 10 minutes of
> > > inactivity and can't be woken up via my remote control.  However, a
> > > connected keyboard works just fine.
> > >
> > > I have updated all my software in a hope to alleviate the problem.
> > > Before that the only thing that I recall changing is installing a dhcp
> > > server and tftp server (which uses xinetd) for use with my MediaMVP.
> > >
> > > Nvidia-settings doesn't seem to have anything to do with screen savers
> > > and I have turned off screen blanking/savers via KDesktop.  I have
> > > also rechecked my bios setting and didn't see any screen blanking
> > > settings...
> > >
> > > I running Fedora Core 7 and KDE using Jarod's guide.
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance!!
> > >
> > > Jason
> > >

> > Adding this section to xorg.conf works for me :-
> >
> > Section "ServerFlags"
> >         Option "BlankTime" "0"
> >         Option "StandbyTime" "0"
> >         Option "SuspendTime" "0"
> >         Option "OffTime" "0"
> > EndSection
> >
> > Paul H.

> Thanks for the suggestion...
> The following seems to be working for me:
> /usr/bin/xset s off
> /usr/bin/xset -dpms
>
> I think when I installed xinetd it overwrote my default settings, and
> for some reason
> my perform on login script isn't working.  I am going to drop the
> above in my rc.local file and see if works on reboots.
>
> Thanks for the help!!
> Jason

Well, neither the rc.local or the above recommendation worked.  The
only thing that works is:
/usr/bin/xset s off
/usr/bin/xset -dpms

Any ideas how to correct.  I am fairly sure it's xinetd doing this.
My start up script is located in /home/mythtv/.kde/Autostart/ and
includes the above but does not seem to work...

Thanks again...
Jason