[mythtv-users] WakeOnAlarm: Searching for the cause of failure

Peter Carlsson maillist.peter at home.se
Tue Oct 9 16:47:12 UTC 2007

Hello Craig!

> Peter,
>
> I will send more this evening if I find anything relevant when I get home,
> but for now, see if this sheds any light:
>
> I am running Fedora Core 6 and for the kernel version you're running, the
> old ACPI alarm system applies, but
> if you're not running FC, some of the following issues I encountered getting
> it to work may not apply.

I'm running Debian. Even if it's aimed at Ubuntu I found the following
very informative and I have tried to follow it.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MythTV/Install/WhatNext/ACPIWake

> I found that /etc/init.d/halt included code to write the system clock back
> to the hardware RTC on shutdown and
> an article on the web led me to understand that many (if not all) mobo's
> cancelled RTC alarms when this was
> done until the alarm was set again.  I proceeded to modify my
> /etc/init.d/halt script to add code that saved the
> value of the alarm setting before the system clock was written out to the
> RTC and then immediately reset the
> alarm.  There should be e-mail traffic about this misadventure of mine in
> the archives.
>
> I then had to add code to detect an arbitrarily selected time value (in my
> case midnight UTC) to be used as a
> flag that I **didn't** want a wakeup to occur because otherwise my system
> would keep waking up every day
> at the time of the last selected alarm time. ;-(
>
> With that code in place, then when I echoed a UTC time into
> /proc/acpi/alarm, it worked, even with a simple
> "# shutdown -h now".
>
> Note that I am pointed about mentioning UTC because I have my system
> configured to handle DST switching
> automatically.  IIRC, using local time for the RTC results in disabling the
> DST processing.
>
> I tested the alarm with time settings automatically computed using the
> "date" command and told it to add 60
> or 120 seconds to the current time before stuffing the output into
> /proc/acpi/alarm, after which I would shut
> the system down and wait.
>
> Once I had the alarm wakeup working, I pursued getting hibernation and
> suspend to RAM working with
> TuxOnIce (aka suspend2).  I have been very happy with its flexibility and
> ease of control.
>
> I can't recall if I needed to fiddle with anything in /proc/acpi/wakeup for
> the ACPI alarm.  I **did** have to
> work with it for successful WOL and wake-on-keyboard/mouse, and unsuccessful
> wake-on-USB testing,
> but that's a whole 'nother story.
>
> HTH.

Unfortunately not. WOL and wake-on-keyboard works for me. The problem
for me is that no matter what I set in the BIOS it will not wake up.

If you are able to dig up anything else I would very much appreciate it.
Thanks for the advice so far.

Best regards,
Peter Carlsson