[mythtv-users] constant recording/mythweb issues

Josh White jaw1959 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 13:32:16 UTC 2007

All,

I just got my first MythTV system working last week and so far, so good.  My
main server is a frontend/backend running on Ubuntu Feisty (with whatever
version is available through the standard Ubuntu repositories), and I have
just about every computer I own capable of acting as a frontend (a few x86
Ubuntu machines and a G4 iMac), but mainly I use the server itself as my
frontend (that is, until I get the materials I need to mod my xbox to make
that a frontend).  My backend is running on a 2.8ghz P4 with 512mb ram, and
a Geforce2.  I have a PVR-250 for a tuner card (though it will be joined by
a PVR-500 when It's finally shipped) which I use to record standard NTSC
cable.  I'm away from my machine right now, so I can't post much more in the
way of specifics, but I'll ask my question anyway.  As far as I can tell, my
hardware runs just fine, and it seems to be configured correctly in terms of
drivers, etc.  However, I think I have a setup problem with MythTV itself.

My backend seems to constantly record whatever channel the frontend was last
viewing.  My typical usage is to use my main desktop machine (a different
Ubuntu box) for normal computer usage, and while I'm doing that, I have my
Myth frontend/backend machine functioning as a TV.  Generally, I'll be using
the computers in this fashion before I go to bed.  Yesterday, I got Mythweb
working and I tried to schedule some test recordings from work during the
day.  This is when I started to suspect a problem.  When I would look at
"MythTV Status"  it would indicate that I was recording the channel that was
on from the night before, but when I would look at the "backend logs," it
indicated that it started recording the shows I was trying to record.  When
I got home, I saw that all I had was an entire days worth of the discovery
channel, and not the three movies from AMC I tried to record.

So that's the back story.  All I'm asking for is tips on where to start
looking for the problem, and advice of that nature.  I do not expect anyone
to be able to 100% positively diagnose the problem and solve it.

Thanks!

Josh