[mythtv-users] Live TV auto switch tuners

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Oct 9 05:12:02 UTC 2007

On 10/08/2007 11:07 PM, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 08, 2007 at 08:38:05AM -0400, Phil Bridges wrote:
>
>> On 10/8/07, jason maxwell <decepticon at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I have a combination FE/BE system with a PVR500 and an HDHR. I'm happy
>>> with the system, but trying to up the WAF a little. Right now, when I
>>> watch live TV, I can only cycle thru the channels on the default tuner
>>> (PVR) with the channel button. To get the digital channels, I have to
>>> press Y to switch over to the HDHR. Is it possible to get behavior
>>> similar to surfing regular old TV, where she can just click up and
>>> down thru all available channels and have it pick the available tuner
>>> when it needs to automatically?

Your "regular old TV" allows you to surf through the analog channels
using its built in tuner, then surf through the digital channels output
from the STB to the S-Video/Component/whatever input of your TV all with
the channel up and channel down buttons?  That's pretty impressive.

>> I *believe* that this was listed as an upcoming feature, but it seems
>> like that was talked about a while ago.  Perhaps one of the developers
>> could chime in.
> It's listed in some set of release notes, because my sister just asked
> me what it meant, last night.
>
> Start with the 20-2 notes, and thread back, Jason.  On the wiki.

I don't use LiveTV at all, but I really didn't think Myth would just
switch inputs/cards because of channel up/down buttons.  If you mean
that Myth will automatically switch inputs as required if you use the
EPG to change the channel, that's definitely true.

The problem here is that the user (the "W" in WAF, it seems) is
surfing.  She should be using the EPG to see what's on and changing
channels through there.  If you don't like hitting the "change to this
channel" button ('x'?), you can change it to use select with:

Use select to change the channel in the program guide
If enabled, the Select key will change the channel while using the
program guide during live TV.  If disabled, the select key will bring up
the recording options screen.

and, possibly:

Record Threshold
If the option to use Select to change the channel is on, pressing Select
on a show that is at least this many minutes into the future will
schedule a recording.

Mike