[mythtv-users] OT: Size (MB) of Samsung HD501LJ drive?

Josh White jaw1959 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 03:39:20 UTC 2007

Actually, most cars deliver about 80% of their rated engine horsepower to
the road.  And the 20% that doesn't go to the road is the energy required to
transmit the energy from the flywheel, through the transmission which
converts the output speed/torque to a useful level, and so forth.  Nothing's
free in the world of thermodynamics.  If cars were rated in their wheel
horsepower, then the numbers would come out correctly.  If you look closely,
most cars are advertised as having a "300hp engine," not "300hp available at
the drive wheels."  Also, there's a new SAE standard for rating engine
horsepower, which increased the number of significant figures involved, the
accuracy of the rating, and the way 3rd party verification is handled.  You
may have noticed cars such as the Honda Civic Si, which has a 197hp engine,
rather than the 200hp engine it was advertised to have in all the car
magazines.  The engine doesn't have any more or less hp than planned, it's
simply rated in a different way.

/just sayin'