[mythtv-users] OT: Size (MB) of Samsung HD501LJ drive?

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Tue Oct 9 03:12:35 UTC 2007

On Mon, Oct 08, 2007 at 04:32:29PM -0700, David Brodbeck wrote:
> On Oct 8, 2007, at 4:27 PM, MythTV wrote:
> > Mine are all in a hardware raid 6, but they show up under the 3ware
> > raid
> > tool as:
> >
> > SAMSUNG HD501LJ 465.76 GB
> >
> > I was a little surprised when I bought them that there was 35 gig
> > missing from what I was expecting.
>
> Probably they're using the "1 megabyte = 1 million bytes" convention.
>
> 465.76 * 1024 * 1024 = 488,384,758
>
> Probably rounds to 500,000,000 bytes if you look at it before
> formatting, with a salesman's eyes, and squint a bit.

Sales people sell megabytes, engineers measure in gibibytes.

Since megabytes are smaller, there are more of them.

Additionally, they're probably selling unformatted capacity.

Now *I* didn't think that redefining the megabyte to make hard drive
sellers happy was a Good Idea, but no one asked me.

Cheers,
-- jra