[mythtv-users] Fanless, not only quiet

Gene Stapp genestapp at gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 09:50:12 UTC 2007

> My HD's are Maxtor which, I didn't know before, seem to have a
> reputation for being some of the noisiest.
> I have used many different cases in various computers including my
> gaming machines and frontends and backend, including ones that are
> supposed to be "quiet" cases that come highly recommended from sites
> like spcr. In my experience once you get rid of all other noises and you
> use rubber grommets to try and damp the HD vibrations like in the Antec
> sonata or slk series, I'm always left with a very low frequency hum that
> transfers right through and resonates in the chassis, including chassis
> with "noise deadening" panels and the like. You have to listen closely
> for it, but once I noticed it, it stayed noticeable.
>
> Of course, no one I've tried showing the noise to claims they hear it,
> and they think I'm nuts for whining about it, but as soon as I suspended
> the HD's, it was gone.

The noise you were hearing was vibration being transferred to the metal of
your case. Pretty much the only way to get rid of it is through suspending
the drives.

I've gotten whisper quiet operation by using the Antec NSK-2400 case, a 2.5"
notebook drive (suspended horizontally), voltmodding the included Antec 3
speed lownoise fans, replacing the included power supply's 80mm fan with a
quiet sleeved model, and getting a scyth mini-ninja heatsink with a 120mm
fan. I only use it as a frontend though. The big iron is still fairly noisy,
but it is located in the basement storage room so no biggie there.