[mythtv-users] external channel changing script lag problems

Joe Auty joe at netmusician.org
Sun Oct 7 17:56:22 UTC 2007

Brian Wood wrote:
> Joe Auty wrote:
>> Michael T. Dean wrote:

>>> You can, instead, just background the channel change script with the
>>> larger sleep time--i.e. add an "&" at the end of the command line.
>>> Then, Myth will think the channel change was instantaneous and the
>>> channel change script will continue to execute as Myth starts up TV.
>>>
>> So, you mean add the & to the tail of the externalcommand MySQL field?
>>
>> When I do this, I can get into watch TV, but I can't change channels as
>> it seems that commands are being sent to the script as follows:
>>
>> /path/to/script & <channel>
>>

>> The channel is seen as a second, unrecognizable command.
>>
>> Can you elaborate a little bit on what you meant here?
>>

> Put the "&" at the end of the line, after the channel #.

How would I do that? What exactly needs to be entered into the external
channel change database field to do this? I thought that basically
channels were piped to the value of this field (which is the path to the
script)? How can I include the channel variable within this field value?

Does my question make sense?