[mythtv-users] Problem with LiveTV is this a bug?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Oct 7 16:26:30 UTC 2007

On 10/07/2007 08:07 AM, Anthony Giggins wrote:

> This show ran from 7am to around 5:30pm so due to the size of it I ran
> into problems around 5:03pm when it ran out of space for the second
> time, first time round 12:28pm it appeared to expire correctly, the
> 2^nd time at 5:03pm it failed with the errors at the bottom repeated
> until I restarted mythbackend which then forced expiry of the LiveTV
> (du -h showed no space in the recording partition). Is this a bug
> should I submit a bug?
>

> Its not often I use LiveTV it was only because my Tv’s inbuilt tuner
> is having issues with this channel

Though there was a concession made to prevent "ultra-long" shows from
causing too many issues by artificially breaking up LiveTV recordings at
the 8hr point (allowing the first 8hrs to expire as soon as the
remainder/2nd 8hrs begins to record), the "right" solution for someone
who is lacking drive space to break up a LiveTV recording is to:

a) exit and re-enter LiveTV.
b) "channel surf"--i.e. just channel up then channel down is enough to
put in a break

You can even do either of these things during a commercial break so you
don't miss any of that racing action...  :)

Myth doesn't do too well in a situation where all hard drive space is
consumed and it can't expire shows, so there are probably bugs in
there.  However, I would suggest that--due to the fact that in this
situation, there's not a lot that Myth could do and because the
situation should always be the exception and not the rule--I doubt a
ticket would get much attention unless it includes a patch that actually
fixes some of the issues.  So, I'd probably skip submitting a ticket.

Mike