[mythtv-users] Fast Forward Works Then Stops

Gregory K. Ruiz-Ade gkade at unnerving.org
Sun Oct 7 01:18:02 UTC 2007

On Oct 6, 2007, at 5:46 PM, Dale wrote:

> When I use fast forward such as 2X, 3X, etc... it works for a short
> time
> and then freezes. If I hit the button again the same thing happens.
> High
> Def recordings are especially bad. Since I haven't seen anyone
> complaining
> about this It's got to be something in my setup. I've tried several
> installs of MythTV with same effect. I'm currently running the
> mythbuntu
> 20.2 weekly builds on ubuntu.

Amusing timing, I just sent a message to the list about the same
problem (http://mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2007-October/
198149.html).  Same OS, same versions.

I'm finding that it's only on some recordings where fast forward or
rewind is working properly at all.

I've seen references to fixing the problem by doing a lossless
transcode on the recordings, but I haven't yet figured out how to
accomplish this (I've been using MythTV for only a month, and
transcoding is something I haven't tackled yet.)

I've also seen references in my searching with Google that it could
be a disk throughput issue.  I'm in the process of figuring out of
this is the case on my system.

Gregory

--
Gregory K. Ruiz-Ade <gkade at unnerving.org>
OpenPGP Key ID: EAF4844B  keyserver: pgpkeys.mit.edu