[mythtv-users] ffwd/rew problems in most HD recordings

Gregory K. Ruiz-Ade gkade at unnerving.org
Sun Oct 7 00:55:04 UTC 2007

I'm having a problem where Fast Forward and Rewind, in most of my HD
recordings, causes mythfrontend to lock up and sometimes crash.

The most frustrating part is that it only seems to happen on some
(random) HD recordings.  Pressing FFWD (once, for 3x) works for a
couple seconds, but then video freezes, and while pressing FFWD or
REW will (usually) be reflected in the status OSD, the progress bar
will jump to the end of the recording, the video will stay frozen on
the last frame viewed, and the whole frontend will then lock up.  A
good portion of these times, I can hit Escape (the Stop or Back
buttons on my remote) and I can get out of the show, but sometimes
mythtv completely locks up and the front-end needs to be killed/
restarted.

MythTV 0.20.2 on Ubuntu 7.04 amd64 (using ubuntu packages).  HD tuner
is pcHDTV HD-3000, using DVB kernel drivers for HD only (I have not
configured any of the SD options on the card).  System is a Core 2
Quad Q6600 (2.4GHz), 2GB RAM, 750GB SATA2 HD, nVidia 7600GS, DVI link
to TV.  I have /var/lib on a seperate XFS filesystem from the rest of
the OS.

On a (possibly) related note, SD recordings are now playing sound
while fast-forwarding or rewinding, too.

I've already run optimize_mythdb.pl after finding this thread (http://
threebit.net/mail-archive/mythtv-users/msg35846.html), and didn't get
any errors or notices about corruption in any of the tables.

Any suggestions for what to look at next?

My wife is highly annoyed by this. :(

Thanks,

Gregory

--
Gregory K. Ruiz-Ade <gkade at unnerving.org>
OpenPGP Key ID: EAF4844B  keyserver: pgpkeys.mit.edu