[mythtv-users] Which video card to buy?

Brad Sawatzky brad+mythtv at swatter.net
Sun Oct 7 00:55:04 UTC 2007

On Sat, 06 Oct 2007, Michelle Dupuis wrote:

> Did you find tweaking for the 8xxx series nVidia & myth?  If so, can you
> pass along the link?
>
> I still have tearing on my high end 8xxxx....can't figure out how to stop
> this.  (I've tried all the compile and config options).

After beating my head against a wall with a new 8400GS I stumbled upon this:

From <http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showpost.php?s=41572344e11028cabad494365b5043e3&p=1242782&postcount=6>:
   > Hi Max,
   >
   > I am glad to hear that your 8500GT is working well for you with the
   > exception of XVMC support in Linux. This is a hardware limitation that
   > involves all 8000 series graphics cards. There are no definite plans at
   > this time to provide XVMC support for the 8000 series graphics cards.
   >
   > Thank you,
   >
   > Ken Spencer
   > NVIDIA Corporation

So I went back to newegg and bought a 7300...  Problem solved.  YMMV.

On an semi-related but equally irritating note, I later discovered that the
binary part of the 100.14.11 drivers have a problem locking up the X server
with 7300-series cards on 64-bit machines.  Version 100.14.09 is OK, as is
100.14.19 (but that one needs xorg 7.3 apparently).

Fun stuff.

-- Brad