[mythtv-users] Fanless, not only quiet

Raphael rpooser at gmail.com
Sun Oct 7 00:22:11 UTC 2007

victor rajewski wrote:
> On 10/6/07, Raphael <rpooser at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> For me, the hard drives were the noisiest things inside my backend.
>> Rubber grommets never helped me - they damp all high frequency noise,
>> but what your left with is a muffled low frequency transferred through
>> to the chassis. My solution was to make custom suspension mounts so that
>> the HDs are floating (inspired by SPCR). It's so nice to be in peace
>> without any noise at all from the HDs.
>
> What materials did you use to suspend your HDs?
>
> I also find the HD is the loudest thing in the machine by a long shot;
> I haven't touched the fans, as the PSU fan is large and silent, and
> the CPU fan is off or spinning slowly most of the time anyway; only
> speeds up under major load, in which case there is usually enough
> sound coming through the stereo to make it unnoticable.
>
> Actually, when the DVD drive spins up that's pretty loud, but again,
> pretty rare (is there a way to prevent it spinning up to full speed in
> the first place?)

Actually, yeah I don't use the optical drive in my machine at all.
However there are ways to limit the speeds, better google it as I don't
know offhand.

To suspend the HDs I made the mounts out of none other than my wife's
hari scunci things. The things you use to tie back your hair, etc.
They work much better than rubber bands, are soft, and less prone to
breaking. Each HD required six of them; I wrapped them around the HDs
and then in and out of the screw holes in the HD cage. It's all a bit
hard ot describe; I can try to take photos if this doesnt make sense.
Basically, jury rig it depending on how your HD cage is set up.

Raphael