[mythtv-users] mpeg2 playback quality captured with PVR-150

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Oct 6 15:28:39 UTC 2007

Chandi Bernier wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I've played an mpeg2 file I've found on the net at 5mbps and it did look
> fine compared to my recordings. I guess that the problem lies in the capture
> card.

Or the fact that the bitrate is well below that you are capturing at.

> The signal I get from the cable is very good since my TV displays it
> perfectly.
>
> Even when I encode at 14-15mbps with no dmesg errors, the artefacts are
> still there.
>
> Could it be that my signal is too low or too high?

Not likely, if what you are seeing are true MPEG artifacts.

> Could it be the card's settings?

Possibly, the IVTV defaults have always worked well for me with 150s.

> Could it be because the card is quite new and it is based on a Samsung tuner
> ??

The Samsung tuners have been know  to be very picky about input levels,
and to create beats, noise and other low-signal artifacts. I've never
heard of them being accused of MPEG artifact problems.

beww