[mythtv-users] Is HD worth it?

Matthew Dansereau matthew at dansereau.com
Sat Oct 6 12:01:03 UTC 2007

I understand that cable companies like Comcast have Firewire ports that are
active.  This enables Mythtv to capture raw mpeg.
I believe I have read reports that you can get a "hacked" DirectTV box with
Firewire ports enabled.

Until capture cards are sold that can directly capture composite inputs our
only options are QAM (cable & over-the-air), Firewire, & Mythstream.

QAM will not work with sat elite (DVB or Analogue TV capture cards)

I am waiting to see how the firewire capabilities work on my Comcast Box.  I
have read reports that seem to indicate everything comes though unencrypted
including HBO.  That would help with my situation, most HD signals are
encrypted so my pchdtv 5500 will  only pickup mostly stations I can get
through rabbit ears anyhow.

On a side note, channels come through over-the-are are beautiful.  Crystal
clear.   I have an issue with the picture being choppy on some stations when
watching live.  Playback is perfect.