[mythtv-users] Fanless, not only quiet

F Peeters (MythTV) francesco at fampeeters.com
Sat Oct 6 08:02:42 UTC 2007

On Sat, October 6, 2007 03:35, Raphael wrote:
> John Drescher wrote:
>>> This was built by a friend of mine
>>>
>>> http://parker1.co.uk/mythtv_silent.php

I built my own case from an old VHS/DVD player. I dressed the cover with
sound dampening foam, mounted a normal 5.25" DVD+RW where the DVD player
used to be, put a PCChips Geode based board in, and removed the CPU fan.
Then I mounted a temperature controlled 8 cm fan in the top cover, right
over the CPU sink...

The only moving parts (aside from the DVD drive when playing or burning a
disc) are the 8cm fan and the PSU fan... I use an external USB2 harddisk,
which stands on a composite vibration absorbing foam pad.

I am building a new backend with 1 TB RAID space, and will make the old
machine PXE-boot, doing away with the drive altogether...

When it is totally quiet, I can hear a low hum from the USB drive *if* the
tv cabinet doors are open... The frontend I cannot hear when I stand in
front of the TV at 1 foot, with the doors open...

--
F Peeters
  PC-Chips M863G Geode - NVidia 440 - Hauppauge PVR250