[mythtv-users] Could someone just clarify a TV out question?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Oct 5 22:57:42 UTC 2007

David Brodbeck wrote:
> On Oct 5, 2007, at 2:59 PM, Brian Wood wrote:
>> Or use a product called "Soder-Wik, known generically as solder-
>> wick. It
>> an ultrasonically-cleaned and fluxed copper braid. Placed on a PC
>> board
>> and heated with a soldering iron it "wicks" away solder quite well.
>
> I bought some of that stuff from Radio Shack years ago and I never
> had any luck with it at all.  I don't know why.  It seems to work for
> other people.

Usually the problem is an iron that's not hot enough or is poorly
tinned. Good temperature-controlled irons are costly, buy a cheap one
and you get what you pay for.

>> You could also use one of those vacuum solder suckers, just heat up
>> the
>> solder until it's molten and pull it away with this tool.
>
> Those work pretty well, although it can be difficult to get the iron
> and the solder-sucker into the same space.

Again, sufficient heat is usually the issue. If the joint is heated
sufficiently you can pull the iron away and quickly use the sucker
successfully.

The commercial units use a hollow soldering tip, with vacuum sucking
through it. That's why it can be hard to clean.

It's always a balance between getting things hot enough to do the job
and not so hot that plastic connector ports melt. It does take some
practice.

beww