[mythtv-users] Could someone just clarify a TV out question?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Oct 5 21:59:52 UTC 2007

Simon Bell wrote:
>> Do the SCART end first; it's a larger connector and easier to deal
>> with.  If you haven't done much soldering a high-density connector
>> like VGA's HD-15 will drive you crazy.  Sometimes for this kind of
>> custom work I'll buy a VGA extension cable and cut it just to avoid
>> having to deal with that connector.
>>
>> Tip -- tin the ends of the wires with a light coating of solder
>> before inserting them into the pins.  This greatly simplifies things
>> -- you can insert the wire and then heat the pin to remelt the
>> solder, and you won't have to add much (if any) more.  This changes
>> it from an operation requiring three hands to one that only needs
>> two.  ;)
>>
>> If you get a solder bridge between two pins (always seems to happen
>> to me), try cleaning the end of the soldering iron thoroughly with a
>> wet rag and then touching it to the bridge.  Often the solder will
>> wick away, onto the clean iron.  If that doesn't work, heat up the
>> affected pins and then firmly tap the connector edgewise on the
>> workbench, with the bridged pins on the bottom.  This will usually
>> dislodge the solder.

Or use a product called "Soder-Wik, known generically as solder-wick. It
an ultrasonically-cleaned and fluxed copper braid. Placed on a PC board
and heated with a soldering iron it "wicks" away solder quite well.

You could also use one of those vacuum solder suckers, just heat up the
solder until it's molten and pull it away with this tool.

There are also motorized solder vacuuming devices, not too many home
users have these (and they are a bear to keep clean).

beww