[mythtv-users] Fanless, not only quiet

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Fri Oct 5 19:07:28 UTC 2007

> This was built by a friend of mine
>
> http://parker1.co.uk/mythtv_silent.php

I have made similar systems at work with antec cases with 120mm
exhaust fans and no other modifications. It may be my 35 year old ears
but I find myself frequently looking for the power light or seeing of
the power supply fan is spinning to tell if the machines are on being
that they are inaudible to me and they are not directly hooked to a
display.

As for this site. That is good advice about the motherboard fan
(replacing it with a large heatsink) although unless you are
overclocking 99% of the time you can just unplug it and you will be
fine. I know this because at work (over the last few years) dozens of
these little fans have failed without me knowing and systems have not
had any problems at all.

John