[mythtv-users] Got my Firewire tuner back!

Harry Devine lifter89 at comcast.net
Fri Oct 5 01:15:55 UTC 2007

Bob Sully wrote:
> Harry Devine wrote:
>
>> Bob Sully wrote:
>>

>>> I'm now running two pcHDTV 5500s, each with QAM and analog, plus the
>>> S-video input from the STB (the only way I can record HBO, MTV-HD,
>>> etc.),
>>> now also with firewire, for a total of 6 separate tuners.  Now, if I
>>> could
>>> only get lirc working right and figure out how to set up a playlist on
>>> MythMusic (it's NOT intuitive at all - better yet, figure out how to
>>> call
>>> Amarok from within Myth, as has already been discussed) - I'll be in DVR
>>> Nirvana.
>>>
>>> Bob
>>>

>> I have a very similar setup to you (1 pcHDTV 5500, a Motorola DCT3412
>> STB from Comcast), and was wondering how you got the Firewire going and
>> the analog on the pcHDTV.  I just got most of my QAM channels mapped
>> over (once I understood how the XMLTVID stuff worked), and I can't seem
>> to figure out why I can't see any of the analog channels.  I haven't
>> even BEGUN to worry about the Firewire yet, but that's on the list. :-)
>>
>> Thanks in advance for any information.
>> Harry
>>

> Harry:
>
> For the Firewire port, you need to set it up as a separate capture card.
> Also, make sure that you have the plugreport and plugctl utilities to test
> and enable the firewire input port of your Myth box.  I have a DCT6200
> STB, which works well with these, and a script to change channels on the
> STB (I use 6200ch, but I'm not sure which one works with the 3412).
>
> To get the analog channels on the pcHDTV 5500, you need to set up a
> separate video source for them (I actually have three: one source for
> analog (2-98), one for the in-the-clear QAM channels (approximately 35 or
> 40 total), and one that includes the full set of all provided channels).
>
> When you set up the pcHDTV as a capture card, make sure you choose the DVB
> option and make sure that you set up the "analog options" correctly.  Then
> go to the video sources setup and fetch the lists of channels from the
> source.  If you're using Schedules Direct, go to the FAQ on their web site
> and look for the section on how to set up multiple sources from the same
> SD account - I followed their directions, and it worked fine.  Then do
> your channel scan for both the DVB (QAM) side (sounds like you've already
> done that) and the analog side.  You then should be good to go.
>
> I found this really confusing last year when I first set this card up,
> too.  But once I got it working, it's been fine since.
>
> HTH
> Bob

While I was looking around the 'Net some more about this, I saw some
posts that queried the database for the channel information.  So I
thought I'd try it and post the results.  I went thru my setup, deleted
all of my channels, unchecked the "Unencrypted Only" option, and
rescanned.  Now I get alot more channels, but they still have names like
"Unknown17#0", etc.  I ran mythfilldatabase and I do have program
information for some of them in the guide, but they still have the wacky
names and no xmltvid's.

So, I ran the following mysql command: 'SELECT
chanid,channum,freqid,callsign,xmltvid,tvformat,mplexid,serviceid,atsc_major_chan,atsc_minor_chan
FROM `channel` WHERE `sourceid` = '1'; , producing the following results
(I'm only showing 1 channel here):

| 2182 | 118#2 | 118 | UNKNOWN118#2 | <blank> | Default | 110 | 1 | 0 | 0 |

I can't find any information anywhere that allows me to figure out how
to match up the channel information there to an xmltvid that I can get
from SchedulesDirect (in my lineup).

Can someone shed some light on this for me?
Harry