[mythtv-users] Network execs added 1 minute to program length

Brett Kosinski fancypantalons at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 21:10:34 UTC 2007

> So wouldn't a simple solution be to have an option allowing episodes to
> start up to XX minutes late? So if Grey's Anatomy is scheduled to run 62
> minutes, I can have a pre-configured option saying any show following
> that is allowed to start up to 5 minutes late, or 25 minutes late if I
> wanted.

Functionality like that already exists in Myth (it was mentioned
earlier in the thread).  Jedi's problem with this solution, as I read
it, is that it forces the user into "manually managing exceptions", as
the current solution requires each individual schedule to be altered,
when Myth should just be able to do the right thing automatically.
And on the face of it, that seems reasonable.  The problem is, the
"right thing" varies from person to person.

The solution is as Jedi alluded:  to make it *easier* to configure
Myth, at a global level, to allow this kind of recording clipping when
necessary, and to leave that feature off by default, since it's a
pretty drastic change to the way scheduling is handled today, and is
evidently something only a minority of people want (given the general
lack of complaints on the list).

Brett.