[mythtv-users] NFS, multiple clients, and 'prebuffering pause'

Brian Guilfoos mythtv at guilfoos.com
Thu Oct 4 14:11:49 UTC 2007

Nick Morrott wrote:
> On 01/10/2007, Brian Guilfoos <mythtv at guilfoos.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm operating on at GigE network, so I'm quite a ways off from bandwidth
>> saturation, but it seems to me like there should be a way to fix this at
>> the NFS level.  The current possibilities to try are turning off
>> journaling on the file server, and/or making the NFS block sizes for
>> writing much larger on the backend.  Does any one have any suggestions
>> or input?
>
> It might help if you provide your settings for your NFS server's
> exports and your clients' mount options.

Relevant line in /etc/exports

/home/mythtv/data/recordings
192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0(rw,no_root_squash,async)

Relevant line in /etc/fstab (was identical on both backend and frontend
- at least until I disabled the mount on frontend)

192.168.1.3:/home/mythtv/data/recordings /storage/recordings nfs
nolock,nfsvers=3,bg,hard,intr,tcp,rsize=32768,wsize=32768,noatime,actimeo=0
    0 0

I had, of course, done a lot of searching for various NFS mount options
(and read a lot of documentation) without finding anything that seemed
promising.  Like I said, simply streaming from the backend solves the
problem (and I'm OK with that solution), I'd just think it'd be nice to
figure out exactly what's going on.