[mythtv-users] Ipod Touch youtube player

Willy Boyd willyboyd at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 14:06:20 UTC 2007

On 10/3/07, Chris Isip <cmisipster at gmail.com> wrote:
> Regarding the youtube player.  My idea was to try  to figure out what  GET
> commands it is sending through the network (if it does use http which I
> assume it does) by runniing the request through squid and examining its
> logs.  Then write a little script so that squid will redirect to a local
> webserver whenever it detects this request and pull the video playlist from
> there.  The local webpage could be dynamically generated by downloading with
> curl the youtube page and then changing the links and tags to point towards
> local transcoded video files.  I believe, this method of web page
> redirection is  how the upside down ternet works as well as dansguardian and
> adzap.
>
> Anybody care to comment.
>
> Thanks
> Chris

Well, OK... I *guess* I kinda see where you're going with it...
because you really want to just use the built-in YouTube player for
myth video instead?

I have to admit it seems like a lot of work that you could just put
into writing a simple web app yourself, linking to the transcoded mp4
files, and just bookmark it in the Safari web browser that's on the
iPod Touch or iPhone.  Sure, not a handy-dandy shortcut button on the
home screen like Youtube, but still only two extra "taps" away, and
you could easily emulate almost the very same experience.