[mythtv-users] Digital to analog audio crossover

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Wed Oct 3 16:29:47 UTC 2007

On Oct 2, 2007, at 8:36 PM, Jerry Rubinow wrote:

> On my Myth frontend, I'm outputting spdif to my receiver, and from
> there to 5.1 speakers.  However, I also have a multi-zone speaker
> setup in other rooms.  They are fed by a L/R analog signal.  This is
> fine for the analog sources connected to my receiver, but for the
> digital input, no crossover occurs in the receiver to its analog
> outputs.  So if I want the receiver to pipe the Myth audio to another
> room, I'm out of luck.
>
> I found this:
>
> http://www.amabilidade2002.com/toslink.htm
>
> which looks like it should take the receiver's digital output and
> convert it to analog.  Anyone have any experience with this product,
> or recommendations for something else?

If your Myth frontend has analog outputs as well as SPDIF, you could
feed the analog output to a second receiver and use that to drive
your multi-zone system.  This probably wouldn't be any cheaper but it
might give you more flexibility -- for example, you could play
different audio sources in different rooms.