[mythtv-users] XvMC playback problem

Steve Smith st3v3.sm1th at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 16:37:38 UTC 2007

On 02/10/2007, Justin Hornsby <justin.hornsby at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've noticed this on my minimyth-based frontend on every release since
> 0.20-19.  It makes playback of BBC recordings (frankly the only stuff
> I want to watch is on BBC channels) hard going with gappy playback
> every 10 to 20 seconds.  If I disabled deinterlacing (eew) it'd play
> just fine.  Problem with xvmc on my box is that it _really_ needs it
> to play back SDTV so I can't say if turning it off helps!
>
> I investigated the problem & found that stripping the Audio
> Description track with ffmpeg (ffmpeg -i $inputfile -acodec copy
> -vcodec copy $outputfile), then redoing the seektable on the file
> cures the problem.  It's a workaround but too much of a headache to do
> for every recording.
> Running the file through ffmpeg also strips out junk which is part of
> the stream, so maybe the AD track isn't the whole story in my case.
>
> Anyway - Steve you said you've got a hackish solution to the problem
> where you don't bother recording the AD track.  Could you ever see
> yourself tidying that up so that it can become a setting?  Or letting
> us see the code change?  worth a go.  If nothing else it'd end up
> saving a lot of HDD space for those of us who don't need AD &
> subtitles.
>
> Regards,
> Justin

Justin,

I'll see if I get time... at the moment it's linked to the recording
profiles...so that if you select
"TV only" it only records Video+1st Audio.

I'll look on Fri evening to see if I can dig out the code changes I made.
They're not huge.

I've been using it now for several months without a hitch. (Even though
theoretically, selecting
only the 1st audio track it finds, could result in a duff recording)

Someone else could change it to a genuine setting perhaps....

Cheers

Steve