[mythtv-users] HDTV recording and multiple tvs

Dan Ritter dsr-myth at tao.merseine.nu
Wed Oct 3 16:06:42 UTC 2007

On Wed, Oct 03, 2007 at 10:32:10AM -0500, Jeff Meeks wrote:
> Can MythTV record as many as 4 shows one of which may be HD.?

Yes. I have two SD and two HD tuners currently, and all of them
have been recording simultaneously with no problems. I think
there are several people on this list with bigger setups. Using
MPEG-2 hardware encoding cards like the PVR-500 for SD, CPU
utilization is not a problem. For multiple HD programs, disk
bandwidth would be the limiting factor for any single backend.

> What about playback or recording and watching the same show?

Certainly.

> Do I need a frontend for each TV, or could we have one big backend with
> multiple tuners that could be controlled with remotes?

That's not MythTV's terminology.

For MythTV, a frontend is a computer program that is playing back a
show. A backend is a program that records and stores shows. The Master
backend is the specific backend that keeps the database of program
schedules, recording rules, and wakes up frontend and backend machines
as necessary. Each backend may have multiple tuners. A single PC can be
both a frontend and a backend. You could possibly have a single PC run
multiple frontends on multiple videocards, but I don't know if anyone
has done this for multiple HD shows at once.

-dsr-

--
Every time you give up a right, the terrorists win.