[mythtv-users] DVD drive noise

Jelte Veldstra jelte.veldstra at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 06:13:47 UTC 2007

On 10/2/07, Piotr Romanus <lromanus at ftml.net> wrote:

> hdparm -E does not seem to have any effect unfortunately. I also tried
> eject with -x option but no luck either. Is there any way to query the
> drive for the current speed?
>
> In any case, I am thinking that the DVDs that are noisy may be just a
> bit damaged - I usually use my Sony DVD player and only if a DVD has
> problems I try my mythtv box. On the other hand the DVD player is never
> that noisy even with damaged disks - it just refuses to play them :).
>

> Thanks
>
> On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 12:15:15 -0400, "Michael T. Dean"
> <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> said:
> > On 09/30/2007 10:37 AM, Rod Smith wrote:
> > > 2) Use the hdparm utility's -E option to limit the drives speed,
> probably just
> > >    for the disc in question. I've never tried this with DVDs, but it's
> made it
> > >    possible for me to play some troublesome CDs. I can't promise this
> will
> > >    work, but it's worth a try.
> >
> > IIRC, Stanley Kamithi committed a change to SVN trunk that does this
> > automatically when using the Internal player to play back DVD's.  So,
> > when 0.21 is released, it will be taken care of for you.
> >
> > Mike

My experience is too that hdparm -e is only for CD-ROM speeds, not DVD. On
some DVD drives that I tried I managed to slow it down using speedcontrol:

http://noto.de/speed/speedcontrol.c

Not all drives support the SET_STREAMING command, but if they do then it can
silence noisy drives very effectively. For one drive I had to upgrade it's
firmware for it to support the SET_STREAMING command.

After compiling the code you can add a line in the start-up sequence like
so:

/usr/local/bin/speedcontrol -x2 /dev/hdc

to have the drive limited to 2x DVD speed.

HTH,

Jelte