[mythtv-users] Slow video playback in MythTV/MythVideo

Flip_5 ltemtmike at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 3 05:03:09 UTC 2007

OK, so I have setup MythTV and MythVideo in Ubuntu 7.04. My frontend see all
my videos and can access them (after I finally fixed shared drive mounting
issues) however the playback is so slow, plays about 3 seconds of video at a
time with 5-10 second pauses in between. I am on a wired 100Mbps network.
Surely this is enough bandwith to handle the traffic. I even have it totally
dedicated to only the backend server and frontend computer. Videos play fine
directly from the backend machine. Specs are as follows:

MASTER BACKEND/FRONTEND:
Shuttle SB61
P4 3.0Ghz processor
2Gb RAM (DDR2)
ATI Radeon 9600 Pro (128Mb)
Maxtor 160Gb Sata 1.5 (OS partition and a data partition)
Seagate 500Gb Sata 3.0 (running at 1.5) (storage for videos)
100Mbps Network Connection
Running MythTV 0.20.2 on Ubuntu Feisty

FRONTEND:
Pentium-M 2.13Ghz
1Gb RAM
ATI Mobility FireGL V3200 (128Mb)
100Mbps Network connection
Running MythTV 0.20.2 on Ubuntu Feisty

They are connected through a Westell 327W (Verizon DSL modem/router) with
only 12 feet of cat5 wire in between the two machines. (I have also tried a
Linksys 10/100 switch)

All files I'm trying to play are .iso files ripped at no compression from
DVDs (most files being 4Gb-6Gb in size). Should I try to compress them down
to a smaller size which I'd prefer not to do?

When I ping my backend from my frontend I get roundtrip times of <1ms.
Should I be able to play the videos on the frontend without stuttering on
this setup?

Thanks,
Flip