[mythtv-users] need help with my irblaster.info irblaster w. lirc/MythTV

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 04:57:07 UTC 2007

On 03/10/2007, Joe Auty <joe at netmusician.org> wrote:
> Hmmm.. Well, I found these instructions here:
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Install_Lirc_Feisty
>
> (check out "setting up two or more devices". I have two daemons now:
>
> # ps aux | grep lirc
> root      5166  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        S    Oct02   0:00 [lirc_dev]
> root     21363  0.0  0.0   3848   552 ?        Ss   00:22   0:00
> /usr/sbin/lircd --device=/dev/lirc0 -d /dev/lirc0 --output=/dev/lircd
> --listen

You still have a duplicate device entry - is there a --device=x
argument somewhere else in your lircd startup script? I'd bet that
--device=/dev/lirc0 is listed before $LIRCD_ARGS in your
/etc/initd/lirc file, which is why is always added to the lircd
command line.

> root     21365  0.0  0.0   5944   648 ?        Ss   00:22   0:00
> /usr/sbin/lircd --device=/dev/lirc0 -d /dev/lirc1 --output=/dev/lircd1
> --connect=localhost 8765 --pidfile=/var/run/lircd2.pid

This is not good. You specify two different LIRC devices on the same
line - /dev/lirc0 and /dev/lirc1. You only want /dev/lirc1 here. See
my above comments about the extra --device argument. Also, the colon
between localhost and the port number seems to be missing in the ps
output, but you do include it below, which is odd.

> I've compiled lirc with support for lirc_i2c, lirc_pvr150, lirc_serial.

Which Hauppage card are you using? If you're using a PVR card that
*does not* support IR blasting (or you are not using it) you *do not*
want the lirc_pvr150 module listed there. If you do want to use the IR
blaster on a suitably-equipped Hauppauge card, you *do not* want
lirc_i2c listed, AIUI.

> In adding the serial module it asked for the IO Port and IRQ for the
> serial device. I didn't know what to put here, so I just used the
> defaults (how can I determine what my IRQ and address space is? Is this
> in the BIOS?). It also asked me whether software would be sending the
> carrier signal. I said yes.

You can check dmesg for your serial port information.

> I now have three device nodes:
>
> /dev/lircd
> /dev/lirc0
> /dev/lirc1

You are missing /dev/lirc1, probably because the second execution of
lircd is failing.

> I'm still getting:
>
> irsend: could not connect to socket
> irsend: Connection refused

I think /dev/lircd is still talking to the wrong device, and
/dev/lircd1 is not being created.

> my /etc/lirc/hardware.conf includes:
>
> LIRCD_ARGS="-d /dev/lirc0 --output=/dev/lircd --listen"
> LIRCD2_ARGS="-d /dev/lirc1 --output=/dev/lircd1 --connect=localhost:8765
> --pidfile=/var/run/lircd2.pid"

Have you updated the startup script to run the second instance? It
looks like you have.

> MODULES="lirc_i2c lirc_pvr150 lirc_dev lirc_serial"

See my comments about modules above. I think you want either lirc_i2c
*or* lirc_pvr150, but not both.

> Can you suggest anything I can try? Perhaps I should see if I can find
> an lirc list?

Try my suggestions above - if you want to use only the serial IR
blaster, remove the lirc_pvr150 module from the module list.

Nick Morrott

MythTV Official wiki:
http://mythtv.org/wiki/