[mythtv-users] Video quality?

Dan Harper dan at kingdomsolutions.com.au
Wed Oct 3 01:07:13 UTC 2007

I was watching some TV last night and was looking for any problems.
I've now had de-interlacing switched off for a few days and I can't
seem to notice the problem when the camera is panning or when
something is moving.  It was very noticeable when something like a
car would be travelling through the shot at a consistent speed.  The
brain is expecting it to wizz past the shot, but when it sees it
"hang" (like the repeated frame) for a millisecond a couple of times,
it's very off-putting.

I think that de-interlacing was definitely causing the problem, the
50Hz/60Hz thing doesn't seem to be the issue.

Actually the picture quality has improved dramatically by switching
off de-interlacing, transcoded material especially looks much better.

So, looks like I'm going interlaced!  Woohoo, bring on the interlacing!

I just got my remote hooked up too, MythTV is a much more enjoyable
experience with a remote control.  No more leaning forward to the
coffee table to skip commercials on the keyboard!  (and no more USB
cables from the TV to the coffee table, an added bonus for the wife)

Dan