[mythtv-users] Eagle Tech CA-EC2 htpc case: remote/display usable?

Ozzy Lash ozzy.lash at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 22:08:42 UTC 2007

On 02 Oct 2007 16:28:50 -0500, Todd <mythtv at vbref.org> wrote:

> I'm curious if anyone else where got one of these dirt cheap home
> theater cases from newegg.com when they were doing the $100 rebate?
> If the rebate comes, it'll have been a $30 case.
>         http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16811117048
> They somehow appear to be ripoffs or illegally distributing software
> that comes with these:
>         http://www.mgecompany.com/ione/products_ec1.html
>
> At any rate, my question has to do with the remote and on screen
> display that comes with the case.  Anyone tackled those?  I'm just now
> getting around to thinking about them now that my basic system is
> happy.

I bought one, and have been able to get the LCD and the remote to
work.  The LCD was fairly simple.  In the BIOS I set the parallel port
to ECP + EPP.  I installed  LCDproc and configured /etc/LCDd.conf fr
the hd44780 using the winamp connection type with a size of 20x2.  If
you want I can send you my config.

The remote shows up as an IR keyboard and IR mouse combo.  The
direction arrows, number buttons and a few others come in as keyboard
events, and just worked for me.  I noticed that the usb identifier
showed that this was a Holtek remote ir-keyboard and mouse combo, and
I searched for that and found:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Snapstream_firefly_mini

Setting lirc up to listen to the mouse event device and setting up the
lircd.conf to the same values as the firefly mini got other keys to
work (although I think some of the keys had a different purpose).  I
did a more exhaustive search of codes near the same values, and came
up with the following lircd.conf for the remote: (the remote has
"ione" printed on it, so that is what I titled it)

begin remote
        name ione
        bits 32
        begin codes
                CLOSE                0x100ce
                MUTE                 0x10071
                VOLUMEDOWN           0x10072
                VOLUMEUP             0x10073
                CHANNELUP            0x10192
                CHANNELDOWN          0x10193
                LAST                 0x10195
                BACK                 0x1009e
                PROPS                0x10082
                PVR                  0x1016e
                MENU                 0x1008b
                RECORD               0x100a7
                CALENDAR             0x1018d
                STOPCD               0x100a6
                PREVIOUSSONG         0x100a5
                PLAY                 0x100cf
                NEXTSONG             0x100a3
                REWIND               0x100a8
                PAUSE                0x10077
                FASTFORWARD          0x100d0
                POWER           0x1008e
                PHOTO           0x100e2
                PLAYPAUSE       0x100a4
                TV              0x10179
                VIDEO           0x10189
                MUSIC           0x10187
                MENU            0x1019a
                RADIO           0x10182
                GUIDE           0x1016a

        end codes
end remote

I was hoping that the ir receiver would be more universal so that I
could use a different remote with it, but it appears to only
understand codes from the provided remote.

Bill